Wednesday 6 October 2010

Durham Skies

Of all the places I have lived, and that includes Africa, I have never seen skies like we get here in County Durham. It must be a combination of the broadness of the landscape and the atmospheric conditions between the Pennines and the sea that keeps the clouds interesting.


Here are some examples from my "Sky" set on Flickr:

Humpback Whale
Humpback Whale


Clouds that look like animals abound, some are pretty obvious like the one above; others are more abstract:

Shrimp Cloud
Shrimp

I think it looks like a shrimp, anyway.


Which Way is Up?
Which Way is Up?

This picture is the right way up but I had to think about it as it is not immediately obvious. I think they are alto cumulus with "virga" or evaporating tails underneath. The clue to the orientation lies in the higher cirrus clouds at the top of the picture.


Skyburst
Skyburst


Expecting to see "The Second Coming" any moment now. This was taken in my back garden with a Fujica Ger rangefinder.

Glowering
Glowering

This is on expired film but the colours are pretty realistic believe it or not.


True Sky
True Sky

Iso 800 Fujifilm allowed me to get the extraordinary colours of this snowy sky in low light. It was a very strange light, everything bathed in purple. A couple of minutes later this entire scene was overrun by a thick blizzard.

1 comment: